TUTORIAL: How To Start a Blog
This is a thorough step by step tutorial and today you're going to learn exactly how easy it is to create a blog on your own and how to start it on WordPress. Blogging has been transformational for my life for many reasons, one of which is that it has given me the opportunity to earn thousands of pounds a month, all by doing something I absolutely love. Plus you can start your own blog with just a few pounds a month! It's literally as cheap as having one coffee a month! Below I have included a link to discounted pricing with Bluehost, which will give you access to a Free domain, hosting and a money back guarantee. This price is for a limited time only, so hurry and grab the bargain today as I am not sure how long this super low price will last!
Click here to start your blog on WordPress, and then literally follow the step by step tutorial directions below.
Using Bluehost is brilliant if you want to start a blog very cheaply, and it is highly recommended for WordPress users all over the world.
I travel anywhere I want freely and the income I earn from this blog follows me wherever I go.
My fellow blogger, Sam at the Financial Samurai did a great job of summarising the type income you could earn from blogging:
You can also read 7 Ways To Make Money Blogging
Bluehost is consistently one of the top web hosting companies, and you can start your own blog with them for as little as $3.45 (~£2.60) a month!! This is a special discounted price through my link, which will also get you a Free domain if you buy 12 months or longer hosting.
As a minimum, you should sign up for the 12 months hosting plan through Bluehost and grab the savings fast! Alternatively, you could buy the 36 months plan and even save a tonne more money.
NOTE: This Step by Step Tutorial forms part of Day 3 of the below FREE 7 day Blog Course. Join below if you haven't already and get to learn all the non-techy sides to blogging success:
FREE How to Start a Blog Email Course
In this 7 day course I will teach you exactly How to start your own Successful blog (including the simple techy bits) and How you can attract followers and begin Making an Income from it.
Start Today and Change Your World!
Here's the thing to remember, if you absolutely want to make a serious income from your blog, then you should definitely use WordPress as a platform rather than others such as Blogger/Blogspot.
There are alot of people now making that painful transition to WordPress and you don't want to waste time doing that. The best part is, you get WordPress through your Bluehost blog setup!
You can run your own adverts, affiliate links, direct adverts etc through a blog ran on Bluehost. In fact, it is a MUST if you want to make money on your blog as it is self-hosted.
Any other free platform such as Blogger make this process very difficult and you don't want to be frustrated before you've even started. Self-hosting on WordPress via Bluehost is totally the way to go as it will give you the professional look and feel and you'll be totally in control of your blog.
Below is a summary of the many reasons why I believe Bluehost is the ultimate choice for your WordPress blog:
- It is very easy to use. Even my mum can create a WordPress blog easily using my tutorial below. Bluehost makes this completely seamless and easy so that ANYONE, ANYWHERE can do it!
- Bluehost offer you 24/7 technical support
- Bluehost is shockingly affordable. For the price of $3.45 (~£2.60) per month, which you probably lose down the sofa, you can start your own kickass blog business! In fact, it is the ONLY expense you need to pay to start.
- You get a FREE blog domain.
- WordPress through Bluehost is FREE and can be setup with just one click.
- You get 30 days money back guarantee
- You will be self-hosted. This is a MUST if you want to monetise your blog
- Self-hosting through Bluehost will make you appear much more professional to readers and companies.
To get started, you will need to head over to Bluehost to get all these benefits. There are a number of other web hosting companies out there, but I can honestly vouch that Bluehost is one of the best. You'll find that many bloggers around the world choose Bluehost, and there is a reason for that.
Don't forget that if you sign up with Bluehost and you have any questions whatsoever, all you have to do is hit REPLY and I can absolutely help you out. I'd absolutely love to hear from you, so don't feel it will be a bother!
How To Start a WordPress Blog on Bluehost
1. Register your domain name
Click here to grab your Free domain name and hosting, then continue to follow the easy steps below.
The very first thing to do when you're starting a WordPress blog is to think of what you want the domain name to be. This is very important as it will become the name that people will remember always.
My wife actually randomly came up with my blog name, and then we went to Bluehost to see if it was available.
Below are some tips to help you pick a domain name. Choose one that is:
- Fun, unique, and easy to remember e.g. thehumblepenny.com
- Based on a phrase or keyword that is often searched for e.g. “Financial Freedom”
- Unique or spelled differently e.g. Houzz.com
- Short, easy to spell and remember e.g. Apple.com vs. GirlFriendsWeddingDresses.com.
- End in .com for more credibility, followed by .org and .net. Alternatively, choose your local one like .co.uk
If your domain name is not available, then Bluehost will give you a bunch of alternatives.
You can get your domain directly through Bluehost as they make the whole process super easy. You get the Free domain provided you buy 12 months worth of Bluehost web hosting, which you need anyhow.
Buying for 12 months gives you some savings, which is great as you're just starting out. I personally recommend the 36 months plan as the price per month is even cheaper!! You get the Free domain and hosting all in one easy step by clicking the link above.
Choose 36 months for the cheapest monthly pricing:
2. Buy your blog hosting
Let's talk about the costs of blogging:
- To get the absolute cheapest option, choose the “Basic” plan. It is only $3.45 (~£2.60) a month through my link. You get this special package if you select 36 months. However, if you sign up for 12 months, the price is $4.95/month.
- The other item you may want to pay for when it comes to blogging is Domain Privacy Protection, which is only $0.99 per month. This is so that your contact information stays safe.
- Other than the above, you do not need the other items sold by Bluehost, so I would untick any of the extras that are listed.
- Remember, if you sign up using my link, you will get your domain for Free provided you purchase a hosting plan of 12 months or longer.
Reasons why you should sign up for 12 months or more:
- You get a Free domain
- It is way cheaper per month for your hosting! Close to being free pretty much.
- You won't have to deal with an expired website if your hosting is not renewed or if your card expires. This could lead to you losing business (visitors/traffic).
3. Connect your domain and your hosting
NOTE: Skip this section 3 if you bought BOTH your domain AND hosting directly from Bluehost above.
If you bought your domain through GoDaddy, but hosting through Bluehost, then you will need to connect your domain to your Bluehost hosting account.
GoDaddy has a full support page for setting nameservers for your domain names. Below is a snippet:
“When you register a domain name with us, we set it up on our parked nameservers so a temporary page displays when visitors go to your website. After you determine which hosting provider to use, you can change your domain name's nameservers to remove the parked page and activate your domain name.
If you registered your domain name with another provider, you can still purchase a hosting account with us, use our Off-site DNS services, or use our CashParking® or Quick Content services. If you do any of those, you must view your nameservers in your account with us, and then set the nameservers with your domain name registrar.”
How to modify your DNS Nameservers when you are using Go Daddy for your domain and Bluehost for your hosting:
- Log into the GoDaddy.com Account Manager.
- Select Manage Domains from the Domain Names drop-down menu or the Manage Your Account list.
- Select the domain name you wish to modify using the checkboxes and then click Set Name Servers.
- Enter your updated name server information in the spaces provided under the blue Name Servers heading on the right side of your page and click Save Changes at the bottom. Your entries should look like this: ns1.bluehost.com; ns2.bluehost.com.
You will then need to add the domain you bought (such as through GoDaddy) as an add-on domain to your Bluehost web hosting.
You can do this by clicking on “Domains” when logged into your Bluehost web hosting account and then clicking on “assign.” Follow the steps and it is very easy!
4. Install WordPress on Bluehost
This is the step you've probably been waiting for. Bluehost makes it easy to create a WordPress blog and it is FREE.
WordPress is by far the most popular publishing platform on the web. WordPress is easy to set up and use, and is extremely customisable with endless amounts of free widgets and themes to choose from.
- After you create your password, Bluehost guides you through exactly what you need to do in order to start a blog.
- First, Bluehost will ask you to pick a theme. You can just pick a random one here or find one that you actually like. You can change it later so it's not a big deal or just scroll to the bottom and skip this step. I'd recommend a Professional looking theme, see step 5 below.
- Click on “Start Building”
- On the next screen, you can choose “Business” or “Personal” – it's up to you. Or, you can click the “I don't need help”
Choose where you want to install WordPress, in most cases with a new website. It will just be the domain name you originally picked.
Choose your WordPress login details. I'd suggest keeping the box checked for “Automatically create a new database for this installation”.
WOOHOO! You have now set up your WordPress blog! Fantastic!!
You'll ofcourse have to work on making it look pretty and producing high-quality content etc.
5. Get a Professional Looking Theme
The Genesis Theme is one of the most loved themes out there for bloggers, and it is what I use at The Humble Penny. You pay a one-off fee of $59.95 and you have a theme with a sleek layout that is fully customisable.
The theme is also SEO (Search Engine Optimisation) friendly and loads alot faster than all other themes due to its framework. Load speed and design are critical and will help you retain visitors to your blog!
If you don't want to pay for a theme, there are many free ones too. Simply log into your WordPress account and go to “Appearance” on the left hand
General Tips and Tools
- Make sure you save your WordPress login details that you receive by email. You'll receive the email after you complete step 4 above. This email will include your unique WordPress login URL, your username and password. Keep this very safe!
- You can start creating new posts by going to “Posts” on the Left Hand Side, and clicking on “Add New”
- To add a picture to your post, just click on “Add Media” as shown above.
- To add items to your sidebar, footer, front page etc, you can add these as “widgets”. Go to “Appearance” then “Widgets”, and you can choose image widgets etc.
- If you want to send out emails to your subscribers or a newsletter, then the best tool to use is Convertkit. It has amazing ways in which you can tag your subscribers, automate and schedule your emails as well as segment people etc. This is what I use when I email you.
- Feel free to join the waiting list for my Affiliate Marketing course, which will teach you all the strategies you need to become a Master in this niche area. All bloggers (including newbies) absolutely NEED this course!
Final Tips To Help You Grow Your Blog
1) Focus on writing great content. Keep your content original and unique borrowing from your experience and perspective at all times. Also, ensure your posts are entertaining and that people can walk away with value they can apply.
2) Comment on larger blogs in your niche. Writing really well thought through comments on these blogs attract not only the attention of the blogger but the audience each time. This can lead to a couple of visitors heading over to your blog because each comment leaves a link back to your blog. Over time, this adds up and leads to an increase in your blog readership!
3) Guest post on larger blogs in your niche. This is a great way to massively boost your traffic and diversify your audience. “Digging your well before you're thirsty” applies here as you're meant to do some work first to show the blogger some love before you ask.
Consistently comment on their site and share their content on social media, thereby build an initial relationship as they'll quickly take notice.
Do this for about 3 months, and then get in touch by email. Ask if you can create a guest post that is unique to your style and perspective but leads off from something he/she already wrote about or something new entirely. Aim to have at least one link back to your blog.
4) Publish content consistently. The Humble Penny publishes on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays. Although this schedule was pretty tough at the start, I have persevered and it's nice to see my readers anticipate the posts and the effort that goes in.
5) Build a community. The most successful bloggers in the world have built great followers and tribes based on a future based causes or movements. They demonstrate their passion for their subject and cause and build large raving fans and communities that follow and support them everywhere. Have this community in mind whenever you're publishing content.
This is the end of the tutorial. Don't forget to REPLY to me if you're having any issues. I totally don't mind and can help you if you're stuck with your blog set-up!
If you haven't already, Join the FREE 7 Days Course that shows you the non-technical aspects of blogging such as how to tell your story, how to decide what to blog about, how to actually make money blogging etc. Don't miss it!
Goodluck and enjoy blogging! 🙂
Do you already have a blog? or Really want to start one? What blogging issues or mistakes have you made? Hope you enjoyed my tutorial on starting a WordPress blog on Bluehost.
Do please share this post if you found it useful, and remember, in all things be thankful and Seek Joy.